Do you find your life – your life – has become too crowded? Too much to do, to consider, to worry about. Too many priorities.
I am currently reading Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less. It’s main theme is that most of what we do is irrelevant. It recommends we do less, better rather than spreading ourselves too thin.
The Essential You
I’ve been experimenting with this concept. To avoid burning the candle at both ends, I am starting to reduce my focus from two opposite ends of the spectrum?
- Discover the Essential You. This is generally what aligns with your values. Finding it tends to be an exercise in self-discovery, reflection and honesty. There are lots of tools and tricks to do this.
- Another approach – if you have not yet discovered the Essential You – is easier to start. Omit the trivial. Ditch the things that – in your gut – seem unimportant.
As my meditation teacher says:
Trust your innate wisdom, follow its lead and enquire – Kari Hamele
If you finish something today…
…travel to the future and finish this dozen or so sentences and discover what means little and what is essential for you. I’ve started with one of many of my own answers – while I’m here!
- I can’t believe I never tried…meditating
- I can’t believe I didn’t start…work on that idea that I had.
- I can’t believe I wasted time on…checking stuff (TV, Facebook, phone)
- I can’t believe I neglected…relationships for work
- I can’t believe I accepted…the status quo
- I can’t believe I tried to beat…my inbox
- I can’t believe I was distracted by…other people’s priorities
- I can’t believe I didn’t see that coming…my regrets
- I can’t believe I worried about…what other people thought
- I can’t believe I believed… success came before happiness
- I can’t believe I expected… improvement without reflection
- I can’t believe I hung out with…nice try. No negative talk!
- I can’t believe I always tried to finish…
In personal life or in business, knowing what it essential, prevents decision fatigue and allows you to say no gracefully. Your visions and dreams will become achievable and your life will have better quality.
So what answers did you some up with? And what sentences would you finish in years to come to find the Essential You?